- Twitter now has over 75 million user accounts, but only around 15 million are active users on a regular basis. I believe this is because people are using Twitter as a information hub.
- LinkedIn has over 50 million members worldwide, an increase of approximately 1 million since July/August last year.
- In January of this year, Facebook had in excess of 350 million active users on global basis, but continues to grow at approximately 40% every 6 months. This means there are closer to 500 million active users today. 50% of active users log into the site every day.
Now for some interesting facts:
- This year, Gen Y will outnumber baby boomers - 96% of them have joined a social network.
- Social Media has overtaken p/o/r/n as the #1 activity on the web.
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations - only 14% trust advertisements.
- Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the world's 4th largest.
- Radio = 38 years
- TV = 13 years
- Internet = 4 years
- iPod = 3 years
Check out this Facebook business page that I created for Skytek Digital Media. They have utilized their page appropriately and consistently, providing their clients and prospects with great content. It warms my heart to see a start-up company embrace social media as they have, and with only one hour of training from Wicked Marketing.
Tipping points are created all day, every day on social media sites. In the near future, we will no longer search for products and services - they will find us via social media. Social media isn't a fad, it is a fundamental shift in how we communicate.